Do you need to get a new table for your dining room, but you’re not sure how to choose the right one? That’s what we’re here to help you with. Here at Modern Sense Furniture, we have a large selection of dining tables to choose from for all different types and sizes of dining rooms, and we are going to tell you how to pick the one that is right for you.
The ideal dining table is one that works for your budget, is solidly constructed, fits in your space, and has a style you’ll love for years. There are some things you are going to want to consider when choosing one for your dining space. You need to think about things like size, space, shape, and material.
Measure Your Dining Area
The first thing you want to make sure you do is use a measuring tape to measure the area where the table will be placed. Your dining table has to fit in your dining area, and you need to remember to leave space around it to move around.
The best way to make sure you get an accurate measurement is to start by measuring the length and width of the area that you can place the dining table. Then subtract about six feet from both of those measurements to get a target dining table length and width. You can then use these measurements as a reference for the size of the table you should get for this space.
Consider Size and Shape
If you don’t have enough space to comfortably fit a larger table in your dining area, you can consider looking at tables with drop leaves, which allow you to extend the length of the table when needed. This is a great feature that lets you customize the table for different entertainment needs and party sizes.
Square and rectangular tables are the most common dining tables, but round or oval shaped tables can also be good options. Rounded tables offer more space to move around because they eliminate the corners, but still offer good surface area. As well, they can be great for parties and conversation since there is no head of the table. However, with rounded tables it can be hard to serve full meals to a bigger group of people as you lose some space for serving pieces and plates after you place all your place settings on the table.
Before you chose a specific table shape, here is a guide on the best table shapes for certain rooms:
– Round Table:
- GOOD: Square rooms
- BAD: Rectangular rooms
– Oval Table:
- GOOD: Rectangular rooms
– Rectangular Table:
- BAD: Square Room
When it comes to figuring out how many people can fit at a table, it also depends on size and shape. Here is a guide to help you:
|Size/Diameter||Oval and Rectangular Can Comfortably Seat:||Round and Square Can Comfortably Seat:|
|4 feet (48 inches)||4 people||4 people|
|5 feet (60 inches)||6 people||6 people|
|6 feet (47 inches||6 people||6 people|
|8 feet (96 inches)||8 people||Not a typical table size|
|10 feet (120 inches)||10 people||Not a typical table size|
Choose the Right Material
When it comes to the material of your dining table, you need to consider the price, how easy it is to clean/take care of, and what style you personally like that fits in with your dining room.
Here are some things to consider for different materials when choosing your table:
- Wood: Solid wood is durable and easy to repair, however it is the most expensive option. Pine, acacia, mango, and teak wood are less expensive options. Wood expands and contracts with heat and humidity which can eventually cause scratches and wear, but it is easy to repair.
- Veneer/Wood-Look: Wood veneer is more affordable than solid wood. Veneer wood is made by gluing a very thin layer of solid wood or material printed to look like wood, to a plywood or other wood core. To make sure you are buying a good quality veneer, look for tables with clearly-labeled core interiors, such as kiln-dried hardwood.
- Stone and Stone-Look: Stone is durable but porous meaning it can easily absorb stains. As well, depending on the quality, it can chip or crack and that can be almost impossible to repair. The prices of stone tables really vary on the type of stone it is made out of.
- Glass: Glass tables are generally not very expensive. Glass tables can chip, scratch, or crack from heat and can show fingerprints easily. They can come either clear, frosted, or tinted, and create a feeling of space and openness.
- Plastic and Laminate: These materials are generally the most inexpensive option. They tend to resist being stained and don’t require much effort to take care of them. However, they aren’t the greatest quality of material and are usually seen as “cheap” tables.
As long as you remember to follow these important tips, you should be able to find the perfect dining room table for your home in no time. At Modern Sense Furniture, we have a beautiful and wide range of dining tables that you can browse here. We look forward to helping you find your dream dining table.